IAB Awards is the most prestigious professional architectural award of the country which is given every two years. Originally established as the IAB Design Awards in 1996 to recognize, honor and promote outstanding examples of contemporary architecture in Bangladesh and to encourage excellence in architectural practice. In this journey over 24 years, Awards have been given to outstanding projects after rigorous judging process by jury boards comprising prominent and professional architects and experts. To be more inclusive and at the same time more diverse the Awards have been renamed as IAB Awards from the current cycle 2020. IAB Awards program enables promotion and recognition of architects and architecture across Bangladesh as well as internationally. IAB Awards winning projects are considered to be a great showcase of finest examples of contemporary architecture in Bangladesh.
2. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF IAB AWARDS:
We live in an ever-changing world where there are constant pressing issues that can be addressed through architecture such as conservation of natural habitat, rapid urbanization, housing rights, climate change, water and food security, social and economic inequity to mention. Architects of Bangladesh have shown exemplary works that are relevant, time appropriate and revered around the world. To pioneer the 21st century as a leading nation in the field of architecture IAB Awards stresses upon such values and issues. IAB Awards always extend its objectives upon such values and issues in addition to the criterions already being addressed. The objectives of the award will serve as recommendation for the jurors to select projects that satisfy the goals of the award.
The aims of the IAB Awards are manifolds; the first and foremost being to recognize the outstanding creative achievements of the Members of the Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB) in the field of architecture and as such to the profession. Secondly, to develop public awareness and create positive understanding in the society regarding the importance of architecture and the value of good design. Another important aspect of this award program is to encourage architects to strive for excellence in architecture and thereby promote the advancement of architecture by rightfully addressing the current global and environmental issues.
Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB) is pleased to introduce ‘IAB Research and Publication Awards’ which will be conferred bi-annually. The principal objective of this award is to recognize, honor, and endorse exceptional researches and publications of IAB members on architecture. The intention of the award is also to disseminate the key findings of significant works to all parts of society to make all aware of the ongoing major researches, publications, and their contributions. Such an initiative will also encourage future researchers to strive for excellence in various fields of architecture.
3. SIGNIFICANCE OF THE IAB AWARDS:
- IAB Awards is regarded as the most valued and prestigious architecture award which takes into consideration the excellence in architecture acknowledged by both the architects’ community and the general people of Bangladesh.
- All projects are judged by award-winning architects, prominent and experienced professionals, academicians and experts from relevant fields.
- All the shortlisted projects are either visited by at least member of the Jury Board members or to be video graphed if recommended by the Jury Board before the final evaluation.
- Awards are promoted through print, social and digital media.
- Award winners receive a crest/trophy with certificate and citation.
- Other associated consultants and the contractor/builder of award winning projects receive certificates of recognition.
- Clients of the award-winning projects receive a plaque to be mounted on the wall of the project as recognition of excellence.
- The research and publication Awards are to recognize and encourage the best research works and the publications on architecture of Bangladesh.
- 02 September–Announcement of award
- 07 September–Online submission opens
- 14 October–Online submission closes
- 15 October–Jury process begins
- Between 15-31 December–Award ceremony